Garden paths are an integral part of the backyard area. They should be not only comfortable for movement, but also ideally combined with the general garden decor, otherwise the coziness and beauty of the garden will disappear. The best option for laying a walkway is paving slabs, but the cost is much more expensive than homemade slabs. So why pay more?
The material for a garden path can be anything: gravel, paving slabs, wood, paving stones, etc. Designers recommend combining materials, because this makes the garden decor unique and inimitable. Making paving slabs with concrete paver molds is not so difficult, especially if you are a creative and hardworking person.
A novelty in the field of hand-made – polymer molds for the manufacture of paving slabs. A garden path laid with such tiles will harmoniously harmonize in your garden, creating a comfortable movement. The variety of configurations and sizes of such shapes allows you to adjust the width of the track by laying tiles in several rows. In order for the track to be created faster, it is advisable to acquire 2-4 forms.
The process of laying such a tile is similar to the previous one. First, a layer of soil is removed, then a cushion of sand and gravel is created (you can also lay geotextiles, which will protect the gaps between the tiles from weeds), and then the form is installed and filled with mortar. The solution is well compacted and leveled. Within a few days, the form can be rearranged to a new location. An important point – the finished tile should be moistened, otherwise there is an option that it will crack. If the made path is under the hot sun, it should be covered with polyethylene (so that the water does not evaporate so quickly). Walking on such a garden path is not allowed so soon. You need to wait 3-4 weeks, then check it with a hammer blow, and if all the tiles do not break off, then you can walk.
Materials for creating paving slabs
All we need is cement, sand, water and dyes (optional).
As for the cement, it must be of high quality (after all, the quality and durability of the tiles themselves depend on the quality of the cement). You shouldn’t skimp on buying cement, buy cement grade 500. Some builders recommend the 300th cement, supposedly it is better. No, the quality of cement has deteriorated lately, all the more experienced builders also recommend the 500th grade.
The next material is sand. As for the sand, it must be clean, without leaves, twigs and plant roots. You should not sift the sand through a fine sieve, then small stones will not get into the solution, but on the contrary, they give the tile texture.
The water should be clean, and even less stagnant or sour, this is very important.
If you want to give your garden path a unique color, add dye to the solution. You need to choose pigments that are resistant to weathering, alkaline environments and light, so that the color remains on your garden path longer.
Brief instructions for making tiles
- Prepare a container for mixing the solution. It can be a trough, bucket, plastic basin. Also prepare a measuring container. Pour cement and sand into the container where the solution will be in a ratio of 1: 3.
- Stir the solution by adding water to it. The main thing is not to overdo it with the amount of water and not make the solution liquid. Ideal consistency when the mortar is pasty and does not slip off the trowel.
- To make the tile come off the mold faster and easier, lubricate the mold walls with any oil.
- Fill in the form with mortar, tamp, trim everything with a trowel. If the tile is made on a vibrating table, the solution will independently spread evenly into all the cracks of the mold.
- After leveling the mortar in the mold, proceed to drying the tiles. It is advisable that the tiles be dried under a canopy, so hot sunlight and debris will not fall on it. If the air temperature is high, wet the tile with water, otherwise it will crack.
- After 5-6 days, remove the tiles from the mold and dry further by wrapping them in a plastic bag. Tile “drying” time is approximately one month. During this time, it will acquire the necessary strength.